More on CNN’s plans:
More on CNN’s plans:
In another indication of CNN?s leadership and dominance across numerous platforms, CNN.com announced the launch of six video podcasts, regularly updated newscasts and programming produced specifically for digital video players.
The video podcasts, in addition to CNN?s numerous audio podcasting products, are available for free at http://www.CNN.com/podcasting and at iTunes.
?For the most part, the podcasting audience skews much younger than CNN?s television viewers and, perhaps surprisingly, somewhat younger than even users of CNN.com. They were raised during the age of the Internet, not that of the 6 o?clock news,? said David Payne, senior vice president and general manager of CNN.com. ?They don?t necessarily want to see polished newscasts, but they want to see the action and make judgments for themselves. So we have produced original podcasts in a format that appeals to their fast-paced lifestyles and varied interests.?
CNN producers designed each of the podcasts specifically for the small digital video player screen, although they may also be played on personal computers and other devices. The format also allowed CNN.com to offer programming with more raw footage, high-impact video, edgy humor and experimental content.
CNN?s video podcasts include: ?All Access ? Backstage Pass,? a raw, behind-the-scenes look at how CNN journalists get their stories; ?Ask Glenn,? a video podcast companion to the Headline News? primetime talk show Glenn Beck; and ?The Grist,? a fast-paced, satirical take on the news of the week.
The launch of video podcasting marks the latest digital product from CNN. In June 2005, CNN.com began offering free video to all of its users. In December 2005, the site launched CNN Pipeline, an on-demand broadband video service that puts users in control of multiple live video streams, CNN?s video archives and on-demand news clips from CNN?s unmatched newsgathering operation around the world.
The six video podcasts, with their full descriptions, include:
· All Access ? Backstage Pass: Updated weekly. CNN’s correspondents, anchors and production staff take you behind the scenes for an unfiltered, behind-the-scenes look at how the news is brought to you.
· SHOWandTELL: Updated weekly. Your reality check on gadgets, games and gizmos.
· Ask Glenn: Updated weekly. You can ask Glenn anything about anything and the chances are he?ll either know the answer or lie so convincingly that you won’t ever know the difference.
· The Grist: Updated weekly. A satirical look at the some of the odd but true stories making news from around the world brought to you in an irreverent style you might not expect from CNN.
· Now in the News ? Commuter Edition: Updated daily. Your quick news update and top stories of the day.
· In Case You Missed It: Updated daily. A fast-paced and raw look at the sights and sounds from the top news events and most dramatic video from the day.