Ken Lerer, chairman of The Huffington Post and this year’s Hearst New Media Professional-in-Residence at Columbia’s J-school, discussed web advertising with James Smith, chief revenue officer at HuffPost, and Shane Steele, former VP Digital Media Coca Cola; now VP Marketing, Tremor Media.
Among the takeaways:
- Whatever you budget to get from ads you won’t get initially
- Advertising trails traffic by a lot, meaning that you will get ad dollars way after you get the traffic.
- If you focus on traffic first then you’ll get the ad dollars
- There are standardized adv places on sites. If you better know those standards.
- Those standards are changing dynamically
- Video advertising and consumption is really the future of advertising. The more you know about video and video ads the more successful you will be.